Property developers in Hong Kong are large companies with a lot of political and financial power. Given the restricted geographical size of Hong Kong, the high price of real estate and the relatively small percentage of buildable land, developers that deliver their product to the market at the right times can reap obscene profits and all while delivering buildings and residential estates of quite ordinary quality.
Hong Kong’s unique position as a major Chinese city that spent around 150 years under the control of the British has meant it is was a relative safe-haven during the years of turmoil in China. When sentiment was at a horribly low point and many fled to Hong Kong, there was a huge demand for housing and those that started developing property during this period went on to become the largest developers in Hong Kong today.
Listed Hong Kong Property Developers
- Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd
- Henderson Land Development Co. Ltd.
- Great Eagle Holdings Limited
- Sun Hung Kai Properties Ltd
- Hongkong Land Company, Limited
- Swire Properties
- Pacific Century Premium Developments
- Hutchison Whampoa Properties Limited
- Sino Land Company Limited
- Kerry Properties Limited
- Wheelock Properties (Hong Kong) Limited
- New World Development Company Limited
- Hang Lung Properties
- China Overseas Land & Investment Limited
- MTR Corporation Limited
- CITIC Pacific